Haney House Museum History
|1979||House and Contents donated to Municipality of Maple Ridge|
|1979–1980||House undergoes renovations in partnership with the Maple Ridge Historical Society and BC Heritage Trust|
|1981||House is officially opened to the public with a live in curator|
|1984||The Dairy is rebuilt and turned into a caretaker's apartment|
|1993–94||The Heritage Gardens are redeveloped|
|1996–present||Custodial Care of the collections and museum operations is transferred to the Maple Ridge Historical Society|
Haney House as a Museum
Mary Hawley Isaac, the last Haney descendant to live in the house was well known for opening her home to tours and visitors, long before she donated the land, building and its contents to the Municipality of Maple Ridge.
In 1979 the house underwent significant structural renovations and a live-in Curator/Caretaker was hired on contract by the Municipality of Maple Ridge, who lived with the original artifacts and furniture. This arrangement proved to be difficult for both the Curator/Caretaker and the artifacts.
In 1984 the Dairy was rebuilt as a 2 bedroom Caretaker apartment with funding provided by the Municipality, the BC Heritage Trust and the Maple Ridge Historical Society. Significant labour and materials were provided by volunteers.
The gardens underwent restoration in 1993 and 1994 after much research by the Curator/Caretaker. Other plants and flowers, mentioned in archival records, that would have been locally available in the early 1900's were added to the existing apple orchard, moss and climbing roses.
In 1996, the Curator/Caretaker positions were separated and the curatorial, programming and museum services were taken over by the Maple Ridge Historical Society. The already rich slate of heritage programming has continually been added to over the years. Haney House Museum continues to manage several different activities over the year, including hosting thousands of tourists, residents and school children each year.