Search the Site

www.flickr.com
Maple Ridge Community Archives' Ruskin photoset Maple Ridge Community Archives' Ruskin photoset

Ruskin

Ruskin began as an idealistic co-operative community based on the writings of British essayist, John Ruskin. The co-operative located at the mouth of the Stave River soon failed and all of its assets purchased by the E. H. Heaps company which had provided much of their mill equipment. The original families stayed on and by 1897, had established a school and in 1898, a post office. Though "Ruskin Mill" was soon gone, the Ruskin name had been attached to school and post office and so became permanent.

Ruskin became a centre for hydro-electric power when the first dam was created on the Stave River in 1913—14. It was also a centre for logging with Heaps' operations supported by a logging railway.

Coming soon — more about Ruskin:

Also check out the Maple Ridge Community Archives Photo Collection – Ruskin.

Post Office Organizations
  • Ruskin Post Office
  • Ruskin commune
Schools Special Features
  • Ruskin Elementary School
  • Ruskin Dam
  • Stave Dam
  • Heaps logging railway
  • Twin Maples Women's Correctional
Commercial Enterprises Founding Families
  • Heap's operations
  • Western Power Company railway
  • Ruskin Store
  • Ruskin barber shop
  • Ruskin CPR station
  • Stave Falls Lumber
Halls
  • Ruskin Hall

 

If you have more information on this topic, please contact us. Our community history can only be as accurate as our resources allow.